Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Mustard and dill-glazed salmon with cauliflower and green olive pasta


Apologies for the lack of posts, we had wonderful back-to-back weddings of good friends the past two weekends. We're finally home, settled, and tractor shopping so we can get this farm show on the road. Squee!


A quick post to get things moving again. Tonight I made my awesomely delicious cauliflower and green olive pasta with a really quick mustard and dill glazed salmon. The magic of the whole dish is a generous squeeze of fresh lemon juice atop each serving. It's a dish I make frequently that always leaves us happy.



1 tsp whole grain mustard
1 tsp real mayonnaise (it sounds weird but I promise, it's great - it just turns into a savory glaze)
pinch of garlic powder
pinch of onion powder
pinch of dried dill (or fresh, if you have it - my poor dill has fried in the Texas heat)
2 salmon fillets, rinsed and patted dry

If you're making the cauliflower and green olive pasta to go with this, which I totally recommend you doooo, you should basically make that whole dish first. The salmon only takes two minutes to prep and around six minutes to cook, depending on your broiler. At some point while your cauliflower is roasting, combine the five ingredients for the glaze in an extremely cute little bowl.

When the pasta is basically ready, season your salmon on both sides with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper and place onto a greased baking sheet. I like to line my baking sheets with foil for easy clean-up, and in this case I actually would have plopped them right onto the same foil used to bake the cauliflower. However, I ripped it... One more dish for my poor husband to wash. There is an inverse proportionality between the number of dishes you dirty and the happiness of your dishwasherperson to face them - you must minimize this number at every opportunity. Seriously, I even chop all my veggies first and meat last so I can use just one cutting board. Anyway, slather the top side of your salmon evenly with the glaze and pop under the broiler on low. High is just too much heat from my oven, the top would burn before the salmon cooked through. Your mileage may vary. In my oven about 6 minutes gives me lovely medium-done salmon which I arrange lovingly atop a bed of my pasta and squeeze half a lemon over. And then stuff into my face.

Serves 2, takes about 40 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment